Tuesday, February 10, 2009

"Saving my appetite 'cause I'm waiting for the dinner bell to do the bell thing"

Day... um... 4 of my soy-free life. I've gone off of all soy products to test whether or not I have an allergy. So far, I've still been having some symptoms, but my skin seems to be recovering. Perhaps I have been having a soy allergy after all, and perhaps it's clearing up....

The worst part (besides no Silk... and no miso... and no Kashi cereal... and no....) is shopping. I was standing in the grocery store's vegetarian/organic section, staring at the shelves in dismay, as imaginary red stickers labeled "NO!" were stamped on everything. Gahh. Grocery shopping nightmare.

I bought some Rice Dream (I will try to love it), but couldn't find any rice "yogurt." (A specialty product, methinks.) I finally found a vegan, soy-free veggie burger, but the fat content has scared me out of using it so far. At least I've gone back to eating fish, so I have another option for protein.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've been reading up on soy-free vegan blogs and such, but I need more help with finding food to take with me to work, out in service, etc.

So, since you've lasted through that rant, here's a music video. You've earned it. (I'm trying to ignore the fact that it takes place in a grocery store. Just the sight of shelves makes me go barmy anymore....)

3 comments:

Amber said...

Not sure what all you like but I'm sure you'll find stuff. There's a rice based cheese (pre-sliced). Lot of bread & bagels you can have w/ jelly, peanut or almond butter. There's also a dairy free cream cheese but I don't know if it's soy based or not.
You can always make soups, stews or chilis & put them in a thermos for service or work days. Do you eat vegetarian/free-range eggs? If so, there's a whole other group of recipes waiting right there! I'm sure there are more but I can't think of them at the moment. Patience, grasshopper. You'll find what you need.

Amber said...

Dairy, Gluten & Soy Free ~
Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 ½ cups blanched almond flour *
½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup grapeseed oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
½ cup agave nectar
1 cup dark chocolate 73%

1. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl
2. Stir together wet ingredients in a smaller bowl
3. Mix wet ingredients into dry
4. Form ½ inch balls and press onto a parchment lined baking sheet
5. Bake at 350° for 7-10 minutes
6. Cool and serve

Makes 24 cookies

Sabrina said...

Thanks much, Amber! I think the cream cheese is soy... I'll have to check. Anyway, I can't go wrong with fruits and veggies and grains, right?
Yay for cookies! :)